Tag Archives: tee shirts

odds & odders

These are mostly photos I’ve had sitting around for a bit, waiting for time to post. Decided the time was now.

Below ~ I’ve become a great fan of Mr. & Mrs. Murder, a 1-season series from Oz. Very entertaining. Reminds me of Nick & Nora Charles from the 1930’s. Costumes are contemporary, so am not watching for those. When they showed this scene, I had to grab my camera.

But should qualify this by saying, lest you discover how really weird I can be, that I’m acting under the influence of a midnight fire alarm that went into extra innings… for over an hour. And this is after Saturday night’s 2 a.m. episode. So if the “tone” sounds a bit wonky, maybe you’ll understand. I’m wondering if it’s safe to undress yet. And try to sleep.

AGH ! ! ! ! !

Baked a batch of my double chocolate cookies last week, and they do ease the pain a bit.  😊 click for recipe
Baked a batch of my double chocolate cookies last week, and they do ease the pain a bit. 😊 he-he!

renfrew: done

IMG_6546
decided to add the bottom band after discovering there was enough fabric for it.

Delighted to have this completed, and ready to cut out a batch more, with & without a back centre seam, determined by how much of each fabric there is.

Won’t give this a proper wear test for a few months. Temp’s a bit too high right now for an almost fleece weight cotton. . .    .    .

just wish I could find those directions. . . . . . .

 🔦    👀     🔦

wherefore art thou, renfrew….

Last night’s efforts ~

After much reading, research, soul-searching, cutting, re-cutting, and a bit lots of procrastination, this first renfrew is aaaalmost done.

Not that the pattern was difficult. No way! Getting my head around how to fit me was the bump in the road.

Several times I searched & read everything I could find on renfrews & FBAs, then just renfrews. Finally decided, as this was a re-cut from a different pattern, to think of it as a muslin, and get on with it.

I’ve read about making a horizontal FBA and easing the extra in on the sides, but decided not to go there because I didn’t have enough fabric. Instead, I cut the existing shoulder smaller, and merged out into the larger size. Turned out that decreasing around the upper shoulders was enough to ease out the underarm creases. Also helped a lot with the too-large neck.

Thank goodness for Sewaholic’s great online tutorials! Reading through them I realized I’d originally wanted to eliminate the bottom band & just cut the additional length as part of the front & back… but then forgot to cut the front longer.  😦

Luckily I did have enough to cut new bands for back & front. My remaining task for tonight is attaching them, and doing the hem.

Then I’ll look up sleeveless renfrews … I’ve a couple of 1-yd knit fabrics. . . .

another use for tee shirt sleeves?

I say another, because the shirts were in the give-away pile.  Not having been worn often for 2 summers, they couldn’t keep taking up space in my teeny closet.

All the lovely things that Josée at Cul de Sac and Katherine at Pillows A-La-Mode do with such things came to thought, tempting me. It seemed a waste to give them away.

Then I saw Dressmaking, by U.K. author & sewing school founder Alison Smith at the library.  After staying up reading because the book (and accompanying patterns) looked so good, I got to the Embellishing chapter. Included were directions on how to make jeans (trousers) into a skirt, and how to embellish tee shirts.  Bingo!

This was my chance.  I decided to try my hand at cutting out petal shapes and layering them together to embellish the infamous black tee shirt.

It would be kind to say my drawing skills are not well-developed. And I did use vivid rather than same-colour fabric. The end result wasn’t what I had in mind. Pooh!

So the black tee shirt is still awaiting just the right re-do.