If anybody knows what these things are, please let me know. It will ease my curiosity. 😉
Have only seen them in this one protected corner that doesn’t get full sun. There’s even a little furled bud down sort of in the bottom right corner.
It’s still cool enough to get a bit of baking done before the heat and humidity starts. Am chomping down the latest – Wacky Cake, or Chocolate Depression Cake. A cake with chocolate must be tried, don’cha think?
This recipe has quite a history, but here’s the version I used. (My modifications are in parentheses.)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift these ingredients into an 8 inch ungreased pan.
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup brown sugar (used less than 1/2 cup dark brown sugar)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa (used heaping tablespoons!)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Put each of these into a separate dent in the dry mix.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (I never add vanilla to anything chocolate!)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons melted butter or marge
- Add 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup coffee to the pan and mix everything together in the pan.
Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
Ice or dust with powdered sugar or eat without icing!
Still slow sewing up these flannel trousers. One of the seams is going to have an interesting design detail… the side where a swatch got cut out. 🥰 Lol!