It all started with this wonderful remnant of greens from some time last year. I couldn’t resist it, and decided it needed to become a simple sleeveless tee-smock-dress-whatever would fit. Then suddenly the weather turned cold, and sleeveless was the last thing on the To-Do list.
Enter current hot, humid summer. And this pattern, picked up on sale somewhere… a great simple design (as in won’t-need-much-fabric).
Last Saturday I got everything out and stood on my head trying to lay out the fabric evenly. Guess what? Those stripes come and go, and they are NOT a straight line. I needed 2 folds, so the fabric had to be folded evenly on both sides, toward the middle, so they met in the center. Think about how a staple looks from the side – each end folded over toward the center. That’s what I needed to do.
Normally I’d just start flipping each side of the fabric toward the center and slide it around until I got the proportions and grain right. Nice idea, but cotton knit is slightly fuzzy and likes to stick to itself. grrrrrrrrr.
Maybe that’s why I didn’t measure twice and cut once, as the DIY shows say… there’s a reason why there’s “lovely detail” at the bottom of this.
On the plus side was getting the serger switched from black to white thread, adjusting the loopers so they were more or less correct, and generally becoming intimately re-acquainted with my ancient machine. Another reason for a slight lapse? Maybe, but I’m sticking with “creative detail.” 🙂
Yesterday afternoon, tired of sewing more layers onto the bottom, I thought about adding a just-decorative button or two at the neck. Then I poured over my button stash and came up with… only 4 mismatched green buttons?! How could I have allowed that to happen? And I’ve got all this green fabric??
Ruminating about that and staring at the blouse patterns I hope to work on, I suddenly remembered a small needle-like gizmo that’s perfect for working serger ends into seams. With all the cutting & serging I’d done, the inside of this thing had a spider’s web of tails and that would neh-vah do! That little process I’m sticking into a post all it’s own.
While engaged in that project I went back to thinking about how to get some good green buttons… quickly. Obviously the shops hadn’t had much, or I’d already have them. Enter etsy… and the wonderful world of online search machines & photos.
On the first page I found my green button stash… er, it’s beginning. WitNWhimsy, owned by Laura Pytlik, had this great group of green buttons and I had to have them. Great price – great location – great selection, and they’re in the mail as I type!
I also ordered a wonderful Anne Adams pattern, but more about that another day. Remind me tomorrow to tell you about the other Saturday